When most people think of Singapore, they think of a squeaky clean city. But beneath this sparkling exterior of glass and steel, a fledgling indie band is trying to find their voice and place in this unabashedly consumerist society. These guys call themselves M1LDL1FE, a play on the word 'wildlife', and there is something unsettling about their intense yet subdued energy, much like the city they come from.
M1LDL1FE (pronounced "mild-life") cuts across the indie-pop grain, weaving together lush electronic textures and eclectic dance grooves into the pop sensibilities of guitar-driven indie music of the early 2000s. The band consists of bassist David Siow, drummer Jeryl Yeo, guitarist Tan Peng Sing, and Paddy Ong (formerly of Run Neon Tiger) as their front-man. First conceived as a university hall cover band, they wrote their first originals in college dorm basements, garnering attention with their brazen indie-rock pop sound and energetic live shows. With the successful launch of their first EP 'PAIRS' and their hit singles 'In Your Arms' and 'Ariel', they were slated to be “one of the most exhilarating new acts to emerge from Singapore's burgeoning indie-pop scene” by JUICE Magazine. The quintet soon found themselves touring in parts of Southeast Asia, China, and Spain between 2014-2016 while opening for venerable acts like Walk the Moon, Travis, and Death Cab for Cutie back in Singapore.
Armed with a fresh and grittier sonic palette, the four-piece released their second EP 'M1LDL1FE' to a sold out launch show in Singapore on 5 Aug 2017. The lead single 'Distraction' was also picked up internationally by DORK and Clash Magazine (UK) and numerous other music magazines across Southeast Asia. Their latest achievements include headlining for Ignite Festival 2018, SHINE Festival 2018, and performing for Singapore's National Day Parade 2018, and the Singapore Grand Prix in September 2018.
M1LDL1FE’s eponymous EP is a collection of stories that glows with the residue of loss and change. Following the departure of founding member and guitarist, Johnathan Lim, the band had to readjust and recalibrate, choosing to spend time in the studio to rediscover their sound. “I think we took longer than expected to get used to John not being around, and playing music without his ‘voice’ being a part of it. We had to turn inward and do a little searching for a sound within ourselves,” says frontman Paddy Ong.
Lyrically, this shines through in songs like How You Forget - a dream-like, slow-burning number about how easy it is to forget the people closest to you. The introspection continues in Distraction, which touches on themes of sacrifice and choosing one’s path in life. The pensivity however, belies a gritty exterior from the band's days as Take Two. Straying a little left of field from jangly-pop guitars, M1LDL1FE bemoans the ennui of the new millennium in the synth-rock jam, Super Algorithm Digital Me. The band bear their teeth in the anthemic Backdoor, a composition that spans across two tracks, ending in a grandiose frenzy of modulated synthesizers and grizzled guitars. “A lot of growth and change had been going on in and around the writing of this album. Some of us got married, some of us had left long term relationships. All kinds of crazy things going on in the world as well. We've subconsciously been affected by all these things that were happening at the time,” reflects Ong.
- Always Been Right Here (Single)
- Super Algorithm Digital Me (Remix EP)
- Featuring remixes by Lincey, THIEVVES, and Evanturetime
- Bonus single - Neptune's Eye
- Listen here - http://radi.al/M1ldSadmeRemixes
- How You Forget (Single)
- #9 on Singapore Viral50 (Spotify), 29 weeks on Singapore's Top Acts (Spotify)
- Watch the MV - https://youtu.be/aRFTbUWT2h4
- Distraction (Single)
- #1 on Spotify Singapore Viral50 for 3 weeks
- Spotify Daily Top 200 Singapore, Spotify Weekly Top 200 Singapore (July 2018)
- Featured on Reddit's r/listentothis playlist
- Download/Stream - http://radi.al/M1ldl1feDistraction
- M1LDL1FE (EP): Released on 28 July 2017
- Written, performed, and produced by M1LDL1FE, co-produced by Evan Low of Zendyll Productions
- Recorded at Greenroom Suite with Adin Kindermann
- PAIRS (EP): #2 iTunes Singapore Pop (Album), #1 iTunes Singapore Alternative (Album).
- Produced by Roland Lim (Gentle Bones, Reuby, The Summer State) and co-produced by Marlon Ingle and Take Two.
- Stream it on Spotify - http://bit.ly/taketwostream
- Ariel (Single): Noise Singapore 2014 Winning Showcase, #2 iTunes Singapore Alternative
- In Your Arms (Single): #1 iTunes Singapore Alternative, #2 iTunes Singapore Pop, Second Prize International Songwriting Competition 2016
RUMOUR HAS IT
UniteAsia - Distraction MV
Kanal Tigapuluh - Distraction
Inquirer - Distraction
4,800+ Facebook Fans
4,500+ Instagram Followers
18,000 Monthly Listeners on Spotify
Top Countries (Spotify): Taiwan, Singapore, USA, Malaysia
Top Cities (Spotify): Taipei, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Jakarta, Taichung
LET'S BE FRIENDS
Bookings & Management: Patrick Chan - firstname.lastname@example.org
If you want to tell us about how mild your life is - email@example.com